Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What you can't tell from my shoes

I have an impossible time deciding what to wear in the morning. But, apparently, I'm not alone. I just read Susan Wagner's post at BlogHer about how hard it can be to project the image you want, particularly when you meet new people and want to impress.

I find it's even harder to decide what that image is. Truth be told, I have a million different quirks, traits, pieces and parts that make up the whole Yours Truly. And each day they fight about who gets to pick today's outfit. The "perfect" outfit which will ultimately project that "perfect" image.

Be it the "devoted, laid-back, way-too-young-to-be-a-mom" image. Wardrobe necessities are funky t-shirt, jeans, pony-tail. Accessories include darling Baby Girl (preferably, clean and not screaming), enviably well-equipped diaper bag, serene expression.

Or, maybe the "ambitious, professional, way-too-young-to-be-so-successful" image. Red heels, pencil skirt and impeccably starched blouse. Accessorized with whimsical eye-wear that displays my oh-so-creative side, well timed statistical factoid delivered with authority and wisdom to pass to young co-workers without a trace of irritation.

And, of course, the "sexy rock-and-roll chick" image. Skinny jeans, razor straight hair and heavy mascara. Add a layer of sarcasm, some pithy quick wit and a killer come-hither pout. Dirty martini on the side.

OK, so, the rock-and-roll thing is a total pipe dream. But, the point is that somewhere inside of me, there is hard-core bad-ass. Right below the neurotic yes-man who is screaming at me to stop it with the hyphens, already! Obviously, I don't want to project her to the world at large. But, I acknowledge that in the end, she's going to poke her anal little head out. Luckily, some days the bad-ass and the executive team up shut her up. Wearing an impeccably starched blouse, skinny jeans and a pony-tail. And they snuck in that last hyphen just to spite her!

No comments: