Thursday, July 10, 2008

My new BFF

I have a new best friend and I am giddy with excitement. Passing notes through ichat, talking to the wee hours, annoying any within earshot with our inside jokes. Wait a minute. I am 30 years old. I am a cynic. Why am I about to run out and buy one of those goofy half heart necklaces? And then it hit me. There is a simplicity in true friendship that you don't find very often as an adult. So many relationships are forced or contrived or down right awkward, between work colleagues, clients, potential clients, high school blasts from the past- I have an abundance of superficial relationships. (Hey, I'm in advertising, it's kind of my job.) But, don't get me wrong, I've got a lot of killer people in my circle. Every weekend my husband and I pack the backyard with smart, witty, wonderful folks. And I love jumping from one great story to the next amongst the crowd. But it is rare for me to find a one-on-one gal pal. Without the awkward conversation fillers, or "no you're totally the prettiest" reassurances. Although, she is totally the prettiest. And the funniest. And the smartest. And we're soooo going to rent a limo for prom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No you are the prettiest and the smartest... not to mention the most strategic. But I do want my damn half heart necklace.