Monday, August 4, 2008

I was sitting in my living room this weekend folding laundry, a kind of recurring theme in my life that never seems to end. Surrounded by mounds of clothes, I began feeling overwhelmed at the complete and utter chaos of it all. And not just the my domestic disasters.

Every day I walk into the office, not knowing what the day will bring. I find myself paralyzed trying to decide which hat to wear. The "research the next opportunity and get new business" fedora. The "down to the basics project management" bowler. Or the "strategist extraordinairre" fuzzy black beret. So many choices. And forget about matching shoes. Which you should know is kind of a thing with me. So, I'm uncoordinated and discombobulated and so far from the sassy pulled-together minx I aspire to be.

By Sunday night, clothes were folded, pressed and put away. Exhale. Domestic disaster averted. Now, too bad I can't fold my career clutter into tiny starched squares and shut them away in a drawer. But, it does give me hope that even the most insurmountable chaos is not only manageable, but sometimes even necessary to get to a cleaner better place. How many times have I thrown everything out of the closet into a huge messy pile as the first step to bringing order & organization? It's daunting and labor-intensive, but if you persevere and come out better off on the other end.

So, right now my life is in a big pile in the middle of the room. Time to start sorting.

No comments: